December 12, 2009

First couple of visits to the local shelter.

After deciding it was time to get a cat and giving some thought to what kind of cat I should get, it was time to visit the shelter. In my case, the Lawrence Humane Society shelter. I signed up for volunteering and figured that it would be a good way of helping the cause while choosing a cat.

The choosing process took a long time. In each of my visits, I was faced with lots of beautiful cats in need of a home, and it seemed impossible to try to decide which one I should get.

In keeping with my adoption plan (adult, male, personable cat), I devised a strategy:
- Avoid the kitten room (kittens are too charming and it is hard to resist them).
- Looking for adult cats that seem to want to go out(lots of the wanted).
- Spend some one-on-one time with the outgoing cats. (I took some and played with them in the play room, petted them, groomed them).

Slowly, I got my preferences narrowed down and one cat in special caught my heart: Alfie.

Alfie was an adorable 3 year old orange cat who was a real purring machine. While other cats sometimes scratched when they were held out of their cages, Alfie didn't. He purred constantly, bumped his head into my head, played with every toy I presented him with. This was IT. 

Still, it was a Friday and I thought I should rest on my decision for another night. Once you adopt a cat, you should keep in mind that this is a non-revocable decision. I am not taking this cat out of a shelter just to return it a couple months later.

With that in mind, I went home.

No comments:

Post a Comment