December 14, 2009

Less-adoptable pets (?)

So, back home and still in love with Alfie, I spent hours and hours on the web researching everything related to cats: how to care  for them, feed them, play with them, live with them, bring them home, understand them, educate them. I wrote down all the things I would need to buy, suggestions on what were the best brands and what to look for, how to get the house ready for the cat, how to be prepared.

- Nena. 
[That is how Julio calls me whenever I am too careful and too over-zealous over stuff. It is some sort of Bolivian-Spanish word for coward.]

And that is how I came across something I have never thought of before: the less-adoptable cats.

I didn't want to think of cats as being less-adoptable. Still, there is some clear evidenced that senior cats, cats with disabilities, FIV or FELV positive cats, and black cats have a harder time finding home.

It made me think of Alfie and how incredibly adoptable he was. He was a young, playful purr-machine with a gorgeous orange coat and green eyes, and he was perfectly healthy. I could bet Alfie would be out of there in no time, while other cats may have to be in the shelter for anything between 6 months and one year - or more.

So, I decided to give a chance to a less-adoptable pet, hoping to find that they had as much love to give out as very-adoptable pets.

Still, I want to make sure that I could provide for them properly. Going down the list:
1) Senior cats - I am not sure I am ready to deal with the possible death of a cat I just adopted. And, being realistic, a senior cat is more likely to pass away than a younger cat...
2) A cat with disabilities - I am a novice cat owner and these cats need special attention and care. I am not sure I should test my abilities on a cat that will require experience.
3) A FIV or FELV positive cat - again, even though these diseases are not bad when properly cared for, I don't even know what the appropriate care is. Besides, as a student, I may end up having to share a house in the near future with other people and their pets...

That left me one remaining category - black cats.
And, to be honest, this is the category of less-adoptable that I think is the least justifiable. For the other three categories, I have my own reasons why I think I should not get one of them. Yes, it takes my comfort into consideration, but it also considers what the cat needs and whether I am the best person to provide it. But a healthy, adult black cat? Why should it be considered less-adoptable?

I can only think of two reasons: superstition or aesthetics. The first one is naive and backwards; the second one is a matter of perception. Going back to my first visits to the shelter, I realized that black cats were obfuscated by the brightness of the other ones - they got lost in the middle of a hurricane of colors and patterns.

With that in mind, I decided to go back to the shelter and look specifically for those that I had missed in the first rounds, determined to help my own little less-adoptable pet.

3 comments:

  1. I love black cats!! And I'm a white cat but still!
    There's a blog called "The house of Black Cats" and as you can imagine... it's a house full of black cats. How cool is that?

    Good luck to you. The right cat will come to you.
    love, Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love black cats too! My first cat when I was an adult was Oliver (whose picture is on my sidebar). It was love for both of us at first sight. He was loving, playful, intelligent and loyal. I still miss him, and often dream of him, more than 20 years since he left the mortal world. He was an inspiration in more ways than one. I can't think why black cats are less adoptable. I took in Alfie and Simba because they were scared of the dogs where they lived before so I didn't choose them, but they have each bonded with me very well.

    Thanks for visiting my blog. The visiting cats don't look like strays (except, perhaps, Scruffy Fluffy). They just seem to like visiting, heh heh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clara - thanks for posting on my blog. And thanks for getting people to think about the issue of less-adoptable cats. We have a few with disabilities. I have heard from cat-lovers that there are some people who seek out the less-adoptable ones. I have not found any. But I believe they are out there.



    To anyone reading this - please visit my blog about a colony of abandoned/feral cats near my home. And you might decide to sign on as a follower to my blog since it has stories and information helpful for cat caretakers everywhere.
    Thank you,
    Debby

    http://homelesscatcare.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete